If you would like to use your iPhone 3.0 with your bluetooth capable Ubuntu 9.04 PC then uit.sh (Ubuntu Iphone Thethering) is for you. This script installs all required conf, allows you to enable and disable your iphone tethering and even uninstall the conf if you no longer need it. I do expect NetworkManager to eventually support this out of the box.
Thanks to http://xn--9bi.net/2009/06/17/tether…o-ubuntu-9-04/ blog post which assisted me in knowning what configuration was needed.
— Ubuntu iPhone Tethering (uit) Version 0.1 – Cooper Lees <firstname.lastname@example.org> —
Usage: ./uit.sh options
– This script will install, uninstall, enable and disable iPhone tethering with iPhone 3.0 Software.
– It has been tested on a upto date (patched) box as of 20090623.
– !! Be careful, this script will ask for your password to get root privledges to your system!
-h Show this message
-i Install required configuration
-u Uninstall required configuration
-c Connect Tethering
-d Disconnect Tethering
-m  Set iPhone’s MAC Address (to /home/USERNAME/.uitrc)
Avaliable from: http://us.cooperlees.com/download.php?F=uit.sh.gz
– Inital installation requires an active Internet Connection to get required dependancies through apt-get. Current dependancies = ‘bluez-compat’
– Only the install requires you to sudo the script, other areas apropriately sudo where required.
- Open terminal
- wget http://us.cooperlees.com/download.php?F=uit.sh.gz
- gunzip uit.sh.gz
- chmod 755 uit.sh
- [OPTIONAL] Move the script into your sbin – ‘sudo mv uit.sh /usr/sbin’ (This will allow it to be in your PATH)
- Run ‘sudo uit.sh -i’ (You will need to have your iphone in discoverable mode with Bluetooth on)
- You will be notified if it all sucessfully installs.
– Ensure Bluetooth is on and paired with your system (use the GNOME Bluetooth tool to pair). Also make sure Internet Tethering is on.
- uit.sh -c
– Once connected you will see the iPhone come up with a blue bar stating ‘Internet Tethering’ is activated.
One command will disconnect from the iphone tethering – You should see the blue notification text dissapear.
- uit.sh -d
- uit.sh -u
– This will remove conf from files and also make backup of files modified.
Hope you enjoy it as much as I am. Finding the bluetooth a little slow. But still very handy and good. Thanks Apple.